What Is DuckRAT Trojan
DuckRAT Trojan is a recently discovered computer malware that is spread in active attack campaigns. The targets are high-profile in the detected activity, which means that the hacking group behind it must be experienced in planning viruses. Read our in-depth analysis of the samples and learn how to remove active infections in this article.
DuckRAT Trojan Summary
|Short Description||Aims to steal data from your computer and run different malware actions.|
|Symptoms||Your computer may behave strangely and new files may be dropped in several Windows Directories.|
|Distribution Method||Common infection methods including phishing messages and malware-infected files.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss DuckRAT Trojan.|
DuckRAT Trojan – Virus Infection Methods
The DuckRAT Trojan is a recently discovered malware threat which is rapidly being spread against computer users worldwide. Due to the smaller number of captured samples, it is not known which is the main distribution technique. Most Trojans are delivered using common strategies, many of them rely on the use of phishing strategies. They are sent in email messages which are customized by the hackers to impersonate notifications and letters with attached files or links. If the customers interact with them they will download the virus to their computer. An alternative phishing method is to create accompanying websites, they are designed to look like well-known portals, search engines, and other commonly accessed sites.
The virus code can also be inserted in file carriers including malware-infected documents which are created for the most popular office formats. An alternative is the inclusion of the virus code in application installers — they are of popular programs which are often created by taking the original files and then adding in the necessary code.
All virus-related data can be spread over file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where legitimate and pirate files are commonly distributed. The hackers can alternatively use fake or stolen credentials and post links to the virus files on various online communities such as social networks, chat rooms and forums.
DuckRAT Trojan – Virus Capabilities
The DuckRAT Trojan is a dangerous malware which has been detected in multiple hacking attacks. The most recent one shows that the virus is once again used as a weapon. It cannot be said for certain when the first attacks with it have started, it has been used by different groups throughout the detected campaigns. Each campaign may have a different execution sequence.
The DuckRAT Trojan will likely include the base functionality as expected from such malware. The main engine will connect to a hacker-controlled server which will allow the hackers to take over control of the machines and steal any contained within files. The DuckRAT Trojan can also include other functions, depending on the given campaigns various types of modules can be integrated. Possible components may be the following:
- Information Harvesting — The module can be used to hijack sensitive data from the users and their machines. This component can also access application data, such as web browsers, and detailed operating system information. The module can generate a report of the installed hardware components which can then be passed to an algorithm that will output an unique victim ID. All hijacked information can be used for crimes such as financial and identity theft.
- Boot Changes — The DuckRAT Trojan can edit the boot sequence and add in the necessary code and make the malware setup as a persistent threat. It will start automatically when the computer is powered on and it may also disable access to the recovery boot options.
- Additional Malware Delivery — The Trojan can be used as a delivery mechanism for other malware threats. Common ones are ransomware which are file-encrypting viruses that are designed to process users data. The victim files will be renamed with a given extension and the users will be extorted into paying the hackers a decryption fee.
- System Setting Changes — Many viruses also choose to edit important settings and values used by the operating system. This commonly applies to the Windows Registry where existing entries can be removed and the new ones can be added. As a consequence of such changes, the users may experience significant problems such as performance issues, loss of data, and the inability to run certain services.
Trojan threats such as this one are rated as dangerous due to the fact that they can be upgraded with additional features at any time. For this reason, we recommend that active infections are removed as soon as they are detected on a given system.
DuckRAT Trojan – Virus Removal GUIDE
In order to fully remove this infection from your computer system, recommendations are to try the automatic removal guidelines below. They are particularly created in order to assist you separate this malware first of all and after that remove it’s destructive files. If you lack the experience in malware removal, the best method and most reliable one according to safety professionals is to use an innovative anti-malware software program. Such will not just immediately get rid of the DuckRAT infection from your computer system, yet will certainly additionally ensure that your computer system remains shielded versus future infections.
- Guide 1: How to Remove DuckRAT Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of DuckRAT Trojan on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove DuckRAT Trojan in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase DuckRAT Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall DuckRAT Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove DuckRAT Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate DuckRAT Trojan from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable DuckRAT Trojan Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove DuckRAT Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove DuckRAT Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall DuckRAT Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by DuckRAT Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by DuckRAT Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of DuckRAT Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall DuckRAT Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove DuckRAT Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove DuckRAT Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as DuckRAT Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove DuckRAT Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase DuckRAT Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall DuckRAT Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove DuckRAT Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the DuckRAT Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate DuckRAT Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by DuckRAT Trojan from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".