What Is WellMess Trojan
WellMess Trojan is one of the advanced malware which has been used in several dangerous attack campaigns over the years. Different hacking groups have created their own versions of it. It can not only overtake control of the computers, but also hijack user data and commit dangerous actions on the hosts.
WellMess Trojan Summary
|Short Description||Aims to steal data from your computer and run different malware actions.|
|Symptoms||Your computer may behave strangely and new files may be dropped in several Windows Directories.|
|Distribution Method||Common infection methods including phishing messages and malware-infected files.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss WellMess Trojan.|
WellMess Trojan – Virus Infection Methods
WellMess Trojan is being distributed against targets using a variety of techniques. The malware can be used as a weapon by different hacking groups who have access to this tool. It has been known to be used in active attack campaigns since 2018. The Trojan is written in the Go programming language and also compatible with the .NET framework. As a result the WellMess Trojan comes in two variants — 32 and 64 bits architectures are supported.
There are two main distribution techniques:
- Payload Droppers — The Trojan code can be carried by various types of files such as application installers. They are often of popular software that is commonly installed by end users — this can range from productivity and office programs, system utilities and even computer games. The hackers usually make them by embedding in the necessary code in the installation executable files.
- Malware Files Hosting — An alternative is the creation of macro-infected documents — they are of all common formats such as presentations, text documents, databases and spreadsheets. When they are opened by the users a prompt will be shown to them asking them to enable the macros. When this is done this will trigger the Trojan downloading to the host computer and its execution.
During most of the attack campaigns so far the majority of versions were mainly created to be compatible with the modern versions of Microsoft Windows. In one of its more prominent campaigns a hacking group has used the WellMess Trojan against COVID-19 vaccine research organizations. Instead of pushing it through standard distribution tactics the hackers are using advanced techniques such as deep network reconnaissance in order to find the most suitable infection method.
The WellMess Trojan according to its release can differ in their behavior sequence and method of infection. Some of the earlier samples depended on being downloaded by the users from malware sites under the form of legitimate software.
WellMess Trojan – Virus Capabilities
When the Trojan has infected a given computer the main engine will start a data gathering module — it is designed to harvest sensitive user data and system metrics. Some of the data that is obtained by it includes the computer name, domain name, hardcoded values and etc. This will generate a string which is created to identify each hacked host.
Like other malware of this category the WellMess Trojan will install a local client agent which will establish a secure and persistent connection to a hacker-controlled server. This virus can do it over three protocols: HTTP, HTTPS and DNS, thus making the traffic much more difficult to trace. The data which is sent and received is masked in order to remain hidden from analysis.
One of the acquired samples shows how the virus operates on an infected machine — it can load and run PowerShell scripts, as well as ensure that the network connection between the local client and the hacker-controlled server stays persistent. Trojan infections are also commonly used to steal files that are found on the infected computers.
Using the remote connection the hackers can easily reconfigure the operating system. This can lead to numerous malware consequences:
- Boot Options Changes — The hackers can edit the boot configuration files so that the virus will be started automatically. By making these changes the malware can also block the access to the recovery options which will make removal much more difficult.
- Windows Registry Edit — The ransomware can edit the Windows Registry values or create new ones for itself. This will lead to severe performance issues and potential data loss, as well as general system instability.
- Additional Malware Delivery — The Trojan can be used to install other threats to the already compromised systems. Common examples are file encrypting ransomware which will process user data and then request the victims for a ransom decryption fee. Alternatives can be cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available computing power to run complex mathematical tasks. For every completed and reported one back to the controlling servers the hacker operators of the Trojan will be rewarded with cryptocurrency assets that will be directly transferred to their digital wallets.
We recommend that all detected infections are removed as soon as possible in order to protect against further damage to the infected hosts.
WellMess Trojan – Virus Removal GUIDE
In order to fully remove this infection from your computer system, recommendations are to try the automatic removal guidelines below. They are particularly created in order to assist you separate this malware first of all and after that remove it’s destructive files. If you lack the experience in malware removal, the best method and most reliable one according to safety professionals is to use an innovative anti-malware software program. Such will not just immediately get rid of the WellMess infection from your computer system, yet will certainly additionally ensure that your computer system remains shielded versus future infections.
- Guide 1: How to Remove WellMess Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of WellMess Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove WellMess Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase WellMess Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall WellMess Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove WellMess Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate WellMess Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove WellMess Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove WellMess Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall WellMess Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by WellMess Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by WellMess Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of WellMess Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall WellMess Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove WellMess Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove WellMess Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase WellMess Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall WellMess Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove WellMess Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the WellMess Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate WellMess Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.