The New Brazilian Trojan is a malware threat categorized as a remote control Trojan. This virus is known for being spread using email messages set against end users. After the infection has been made the New Brazilian Trojan can launch multiple dangerous modules and steal files. It is rated as an advanced Trojan and it can easily spread to large networks.
|Name||New Brazilian Trojan|
|Short Description||A dangerous malware which can launch different components and start a Trojan module.|
|Symptoms||The victims may notice performance issues and can get infected with other malware.|
|Distribution Method||Common distribution tactics and direct web attacks.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss New Brazilian Trojan.|
New Brazilian Trojan — Infection Mechanism
A new Brazilian Trojan has been detected in an ongoing attack campaign. It is similar to other malware of this category. At the moment the main strategy is to launch a SPAM campaign which is used to impersonate notifications from Vodafone. These messages are translated in Portugese and is mainly spread in Brazil.
To manipulate the victims into opening the emails and interacting with them they are presented as being sent by a Vodafone domain. The actual new Brazilian Trojan payload is contained in phishing links or attachments. To mask the contents the files they can be inserted in archives and self executing containers. The virus installation can also happen via macro-infected documents which can be of all popular formats: presentations, databases, text files and spreadsheets.
To spread the dangerous files the hacking group has also uploaded the files to Google Drive and Google Sites from where it will be linked.
New Brazilian Trojan — Overview
When the victim users click on the phishing email link, archives or contaminated file the first stage of deployment will be activated: this will extract a Windows software installer which will trigger the Trojan download from a Google Drive or Google Sites repository.
The second stage is the actual deployment of the New Brazilian Trojan onto the Windows machine. This is done by using a special persistent installation. This step will ensure that the virus will start automatically when the computer is powered on. Additional consequences at this stage may be the following:
- Security Services and Software Bypass — The main virus may edit the configuration files and interact with processes that belong to security applications and services: anti-virus programs, firewalls, virtual machine hosts and sandbox environments. These programs may be disabled or completely removed depending on the exact configuration.
- System Issues — In many cases when such Trojans are installed in a persistent state data loss, performance issues and unexpected errors may be produced.
- Boot Recovery Issues — The virus engine may also make it impossible to enter into the recovery menus and access certain boot options. This will make it impossible to follow most manual recovery instructions. In such cases we recommend that a professional-grade anti-malware solution is used.
The main engine will read the contents of three files on Google Docs, in them the URLs of the hacker-controlled servers are defined. When they are acquired the local Trojan client will establish a secure connection to the hacker computers. This third stage will allow the hackers through the Trojan to monitor user actions by looking at how they interact with their computers. This will also run a special keylogger module – it is programmed to constantly monitor and transmit the keyboard input and mouse movement of the users. In this new Brazilian Trojan this functionality is also extended to the clipboard.
A specific feature which is part of this virus is the web browser overlay. It will interact with the installed web browsers and run when the users access certain online banks, financial services and other platforms by displaying a overlay on them. This will replace the standard view with a hacker-created copy — this will not be known when they are opened by the users. This means that they will be tricked into entering in their account credentials to the hacker gateways.
One of the most dangerous consequences of having such a virus deployed on a computer is the ability to install other threats. Common ones include the following:
- File Encrypting ransomware — They are created in order to process user and system files with a strong cipher. They will be automatically locked and the victims will be blackmailed into paying the hackers a set decryption fee.
- Cryptocurrency Miners — These are small size scripts that will download and run performance intensive tasks. For every completed result the hackers will be rewarded cryptocurrency assets.
- Web Browser Hijackers — In many cases Trojans may be programmed to deliver malicious plugins made that are made compatible with the most popular web browsers: Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge among others. These hijackers will modify the settings so that a hacker-controlled site will be shown as often as possible. It is usually a phishing landing page, scam page, affiliate or even malware portal.
We remind our readers that at any point the behavior sequence may change. This new Brazilian Trojan is rated as very dangerous and as such we recommend that it is removed as soon as an infection is detected on a given machine.
How to Remove New Brazilian Trojan
In order to fully remove Hupigon from your computer system, we recommend that you follow the removal instructions underneath this article. If the first two manual removal steps do not seem to work and you still see Hupigon or programs, related to it, we suggest what most security experts advise – to download and run a scan of your computer with a reputable anti-malware program. Downloading this software will not only save you some time, but will remove all of Hupigon files and programs related to it and will protect your computer against such intrusive apps and malware in the future.
- Guide 1: How to Remove New Brazilian Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of New Brazilian Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove New Brazilian Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase New Brazilian Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall New Brazilian Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove New Brazilian Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate New Brazilian Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove New Brazilian Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove New Brazilian Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall New Brazilian Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by New Brazilian Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by New Brazilian Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of New Brazilian Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall New Brazilian Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove New Brazilian Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove New Brazilian Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase New Brazilian Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall New Brazilian Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove New Brazilian Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the New Brazilian Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate New Brazilian Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.