The PirateMatryoshka Malware is a dangerous weapon used against computer users worldwide. It infects mainly via The Pirate Bay torrent trackers. Our article gives an overview of its behavior according to the collected samples and available reports, also it may be helpful in attempting to remove the virus.
|Short Description||The PirateMatryoshka Malware is a scam program that is designed to infiltrate computer systems.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Torrent Trackers, Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss PirateMatryoshka Trojan.|
PirateMatryoshka Malware – Distribution Methods
The PirateMatryoshka malware is a dangerous threat which is primarily distributed ia the The Pirate Bay torrent tracker, according to the released security reports it has already been downloaded about 10,000 times.
The Pirate Bay is hosted through various Internet mirrors found on the Internet and many of them have been found to spread the malware. It is found throughout torrents that are uploaded by dozens of accounts used for this purpose. The primary aim of the PirateMatryoshka malware is to infect the target computers by being part of the distributed content. This form of payload delivery can have many forms being a part of all popular content that is shared on these places:
- Documents — The malware delivery can be triggered via the scripts that can be found across all popular file formats: spreadsheets, presentations, rich text documents and databases. Whenever they are opened by the victims a prompt will appear asking the users to enable the built-in scripts. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to correctly view the contents of the files.
- Software Installers — The other popular technique is to embed the necessary virus files in the setup packages of applications which are often downloaded by end users: creativity suites, system utilities, productivity and office suites and etc. They are made by taking the official executables and adding in the necessary scripts in order to create the resulting files.
- Multimedia Content — Virus infections can be caused via interaction with all kinds of content including music, videos, images and etc.
- E-Books — Malware infections can happen even when downloading e-books and other related documents.
PirateMatryoshka Malware – Detailed Description
The PirateMatryoshka malware servers as a payload dropper for other threats. The made infections can be changed depending on the ongoing attack campaign. The captured samples so far appear to deliver a Trojan instance, various adware components are also an important part of it.
The infection confronts to a built-in infection pattern that deploys a main installer with the relevant actions. The analysis shows that the following:
- Windows Registry Changes — The associated Trojan has been found to contain the ability to create, edit and delete registry values found within the Windows Registry. This can make the PirateMatryoshka malware to automatically start once the computer boots. In addition changes to these values can lead to serious performance issues to the point of rendering the computer practically unusable. Other effects of this the sudden appearance of errors, unexpected behavior and loss of data.
- Remote Server Connection — The engine will download a special file from a remote location from which the addresses of the command and control servers are acquired. A persistent connection is done which enable the hackers to take over control of the machines, steal data and loa additional threats.
- Browser Redirect — One of the most dangerous actions undertaken by this type of infections is the user redirect. the malware will change the settings of the most popular web browsers in order to display a preset hacker-controlled site. This is done by modifying settings such as the default home page, new tabs page and search engine.
Before running other actions the PirateMatryoshka malware will execute a security check making sure that no other instance has been deployed prior to it. A complex file delivery tactic will follow making sure that the intended payload is successfully deployed to the intended targets. The analysis shows that an autoclicker software is installed which prevents the users from attempting to evade the payload delivery.
Remove PirateMatryoshka Malware
If your computer system got infected with the PirateMatryoshka Malware, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this Trojan as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the Trojan and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Note! Your computer system may be affected by PirateMatryoshka Trojan and other threats.
Scan Your PC with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a powerful malware removal tool designed to help users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of PirateMatryoshka Trojan.
To remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan follow these steps:
Use SpyHunter to scan for malware and unwanted programs
- Guide 1: How to Remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of PirateMatryoshka Trojan on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable PirateMatryoshka Trojan Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall PirateMatryoshka Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by PirateMatryoshka Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by PirateMatryoshka Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall PirateMatryoshka Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as PirateMatryoshka Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the PirateMatryoshka Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by PirateMatryoshka Trojan from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".