The Razy Trojan is a dangerous weapon used against computer users worldwide. It infects mainly via infected software installers. Our article gives an overview of its behavior according to the collected samples and available reports, also it may be helpful in attempting to remove the virus.
|Short Description||The Razy Trojan is a computer virus that is designed to silently infiltrate computer systems.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Software Vulnerabilities, Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Razy Trojan.|
Razy Trojan – Distribution Methods
The Razy Trojan attacks were found for the first time in 2018 during targeted campaigns against websites worldwide. It appears that the hacker collective behind it are aiming to infect websites with the Trojan code and using them as conduits for even larger distribution.
According to the security analysis the viral content is found in ads on various websites and free hosting services. This means that the installation code will be found in the interactive scripts in the content — ads, banners, pop-ups and redirects. Several of the most popular web browsers have been affected: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Yandex Browser. This is done by creating malicious plugins for them (called “hijackers”) which are uploaded to their relevant repositories. Usually fake developer credentials or user reviews are posted to entice the victims into installing them. As soon as this is done the virus deployment will take place.
It is also possible to create fake copies of the browser installers, this is done by taking the legitimate setup files from their official sources and modifying them with the code.
Other possible distribution tactics include the following:
- Infected Documents — The virus installation code can be embedded in documents across all popular types: spreadsheets, text documents, presentations and databases. Whenever these files are opened by the victims a prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in code. If this is done the Razy Trojan will be installed on the target machines.
- Email Phishing Campaigns — The criminals can orchestrate email SPAM campaigns that feature phishing elements. They are made by impersonating well-known services or products that the victims frequently use. The body contents will include various interactive elements and in-text links which can lead to the infection. In other cases the samples can be directly attached.
- Other Virus Payloads — Ransomware and other malicious threats can deliver this Trojan as part of their operations.
Razy Trojan – Detailed Description
The Trojan code is fully capable of spoofing QR codes as well. This means that when the computers read a certain address encoded in this format they will be redirected to another address instead of the real one.
The Razy Trojan has also been found to have the ability to modify pages by inserting malicious lnks. This is particularly useful when accessing exchanges where cryptocurrency transactions are made. The security reports show that the virus exhibits the ability to change search engine results by redirecting the users to hacker-controlled landing pages. All of this shows that there are several advanced components available in this malware release:
- Information Harvesting — To facilitate the system changes an elaborate mechanism for harvesting information found on the infected machines. This can include both the installed hardware components list, user settings and operating system values, but also the victim users themselves. An unique ID can be assigned to each infected machine thanks to the gathered information. The personal information gained through this process is used to expose the identity of the victims.
- Memory & Files Manipulation — The Trojan can hook up to existing operating system services and applications in order to allow the main engine to manipulate the input and output.
- Files Access — By having access to the local drive contents the Razy Trojan can access both system and user data. If it interacts with the Windows Volume Manager it will be able to retrieve files from removable devices and network shares as well.
- Windows Registry Changes — It is very possible that changes are made to the Windows Registry. This can include both changes, creation of new entries and deletion of already existing ones. This can cause severe performance issues and unexpected shut down of applications and services.
- Additional Payload Delivery — The Trojan can be used to implant other malware including ransomware, miners and etc.
As it appears the code base behind the Razy Trojan is modular allowing the criminal collective to update it with further modules.
Remove Razy Trojan Trojan
If your computer system got infected with the Razy Trojan Trojan, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this Trojan as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the Trojan and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Note! Your computer system may be affected by Razy Trojan and other threats.
Scan Your PC with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a powerful malware removal tool designed to help users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of Razy Trojan.
To remove Razy Trojan follow these steps:
Use SpyHunter to scan for malware and unwanted programs
- Guide 1: How to Remove Razy Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Razy Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Razy Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Razy Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Razy Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Razy Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Razy Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Razy Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Razy Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall Razy Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Razy Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Razy Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Razy Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Razy Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Razy Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Razy Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Razy Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Razy Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Razy Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Razy Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate Razy Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.