What is Zen PC? What does Zen PC do? Is Zen PC safe? Can you trust Zen PC? Is Zen PC a virus?
The Zen PC Malware is a dangerous weapon used against computer users worldwide. It infects mainly via phishing email messages. Our article gives an overview of its behavior according to the collected samples and available reports, also it may be helpful in attempting to remove the virus.
|Short Description||The Zen PC Malware is a scam program that is designed to infiltrate computer systems.|
|Symptoms||The victims may not experience any apparent symptoms of infection.|
|Distribution Method||Phishing Messages, Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages, Scripts and others.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Zen PC |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Zen PC.|
Zen PC Malware – Distribution Methods
The Zen PC is a scam software utility which is distributed against computer users globally by an unknown hacking collective. Threats like this one are particularly popular as they will present themselves as an useful system software. This does not mean that every application called Zen PC is malicious by nature. It is very difficult to determine which is a real and useful application and which is the malware fraud one.
One of the main strategies used to spread the Zen PC is to coordinate the sending of phishing email messages and the creation of hacker-controlled servers which are made in order to manipulate the victims. They will be manipulated into believing that the contents comes from a well-known service or company. Through interaction with them the virus installation will begin. Usually the malicious sites and emails come from sites which are hosted on domain names that sound very similar to the legitimate home pages of the quoted services. They can also include self-signed or stolen security certificates.
The criminals can drive the infections by embedding malware code into various file carriers. The two most popular types are the following:
- Setup Packages — The Zen PC can be made part of an application installer without the users knowing about it. The criminals typically choose popular software which is often installed: system utilities, productivity tools and creativity suites. As soon as these installers are run the recipients may not know that they are to install a malware alongside another application.
- Macro-Infected Documents — They include macros that will lead to the Zen PC infection. The documents can be of all popular formats: presentations, text files, databases and spreadsheets. As soon as they are opened by the victims a prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in code. If this is done the virus will be installed. Often different reasons are quoted in order to entice the users into doing so, the most popular one is the requirement in order to display correctly the contents of the file.
All of these files can be uploaded to different file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where pirate and legitimate data is often found. Larger infection campaigns can be done by including the necessary code in malicious web plugins — they can be uploaded to the relevant repositories with fake user reviews and an elaborate description. To go through the developer check the criminals can steal the credentials of plugin authors or fake them.
Zen PC Malware – Detailed Description
Depending on the actual local conditions and hacker instructions the application can function in an entirely different way from other similar threats. In most cases these malware threats will take the form of an useful system utility. This means that depending on the case the criminals can make the look like as completely functioning tool. However as soon as it is run it can launch a variety of dangerous malicious modules including the following:
- Information Theft — One of the most widely used strategies is to look for information that can expose the victims by looking for strings in memory and the hard disk contents that can reveal data like a person’s name, address, telephone number and etc. This can be used further for malicious purposes and crimes like identity theft. This particular module can also be used to generate a complete profile of the infected computer. This information can be used to generate an unique ID for every compromised host.
- Security Applications Removal — The gained intelligence about the computers can be used to identify if there are any running security applications which can block the proper execution of the threat. The list of the most popular ones include the following: anti-virus threats, firewalls, virtual machine hosts, sandbox and debug environments.
- Persistent Installation — The malicious Zen PC threat can be set to automatically start as soon as the victims power up their computers. This step can also disable access to the recovery boot options. This is very important as most manual user removal guides depend on them in order to attempt the malware recovery.
- Windows Registry Changes — The main engine can be used to commit changes to the Windows Registry by modifying existing values or creating new ones related to the Zen PC malware. The consequences of these actions can lead to problems when accessing certain app and system functions, data loss and the frequent unexpected errors.
- Data Removal — The engine of the malware can be programmed to ook for sensitive files which are to be removed. Usually these are important system data which are important for the proper functioning of the operating system. Examples include system restore points, shadow volume copies and backups.
- Additional Malware Infections — The made infections with the malicious versions of the Zen PC app can be used as conduits for other viruses.
What’s dangerous about this particular software is that it both mimics a real-world system utility and it can be used in various types of hacker attacks. It can be installed by other viruses or it can be used as a complex tool designed to deploy other malware. A popular option is to launch a Trojan module which will connect the infected machines to the predesignated hacker-controlled server allowing the criminals to take over control of the machines at any time, steal their data and carry out further dangerous threats.
Remove Zen PC Malware
If you want to remove the Zen PC Malware unwanted software from your computer we recommend that you use a specific anti-malware software. With a such an anti-malware program, your computer will remain with a better protection and stay healthy performance-wise in the future.