What Is Team9 Trojan
The Team9 Trojan is an advanced malware that is believed to be created by the same hackers as those behind the infamous Trickbot virus. It contains a lot of modules that allow the remote hackers to carry out all kind of malicious actions.
Team9 Trojan Summary
|Short Description||Aims to steal data from your computer and log the keystrokes you type in it.|
|Symptoms||Your computer may behave strangely and new files may be dropped in several Windows Directories.|
|Distribution Method||Malicious e-mail attachments.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Team9 Trojan.|
Team9 Trojan – Virus Infection Methods
The Team9 Trojan is a new malware which is developed by the criminal collective which is responsible for Trickbot. The analysis made on the collected samples indicate that it is a fairy recent creation, it is possible that parts of it have been taken from previous malware.
The public disclosure of the threat made by security experts was made available a few weeks ago, judging by the available data it is a fairy recent virus. Several iterations of it have been made over the years. This also includes different mechanisms for infection.
In one of the discovered samples the main delivery mechanism relied on the Windows BITS method before moving on to other strategies. Common variants include the following:
- Phishing Methods — The hackers can also employ various scam methods that are designed to manipulate the recipients into thinking that they are receiving legitimate notifications from a well-known service or company. These messages are commonly sent via email messages and/or hacker-controlled sites. To add authenticity they can be hosted on domain names that sound very similar to the ones that are impersonated.
- Infected Files Interaction — The Team9 Trojan code can be integrated in various data, the most common examples are macro-infected documents which are designed to enable the virus when popular types are opened: presentations, text documents, databases and spreadsheets. When application installers are considered by the hackers usually popular software is affected: creativity suites, productivity tools, office programs.
- Direct Web Infections and Carriers — Infections can be done by other malware which are already present in the target systems. This is also the case with exploits which are done by the hackers using automated platforms and tools targeting unpatched applications.
Team9 Trojan – Virus Capabilities
The Team9 Trojan contains an extensive list of modules which are integrated in it. One of the first actions which is started is the startup check — it verifies if it is the first installation of the threat. If a prior infection is detected a secondary one will not be made. When the malware engine is deployed it will add an entry into the Windows Registry making it run every time the computer is started. This mechanism is also called a persistent installation, other Trojans and versions of this malware can also edit out important parameters such as configuration files and boot options. In some cases the edits can render access to the recovery boot options impossible therefore preventing manual user recovery methods.
The Team9 Trojan is instituted in two versions (32/64-bit) and the appropriate build will be deployed to the victim systems. The next step involves the running of the actual remote control module — it will create a secure connection to a hacker-controlled site that allows the criminals to take over control of the hosts. The Trojan connection also allows for spying on the users and files theft.
In comparison with other malware the execution of the threat will not be instantaneous. This will prevent some of the virus detection signatures to locate the malware.
One of the most important steps taken by the virus will be to inject itself into system applications. In this case this are the Windows system services svchost, explorer and cmd. The system changes which are done by the main engine include the setting up of the threat as a Scheduled task to the Windows startup. A shortcut will also be added to the Startup folder and will hijack existing entries.
An analysis of the captured versions of the Team9 Trojan shows that the following commands are implemented:
- Delay Time Execution Adjustment — Using this command the criminals can adjust the time of delayed execution between the local client requests.
- Information Gathering — This will force the collection of sensitive information that is contained within the system. The included buffer will automatically start to collect information and send it to the hackers controllers.
- Downloading and Injection of Code — This will retrieve a file from a remote server and inject it into a running process using a special technique that will hide it.
- DLL File Running — This will retrieve a DLL files and execute it on the host computer.
- Batch File Running — This command will run a batch file on the infected computers./li>
- PowerShell Script Running — This allows the hackers to deliver a PowerShell script to the remote computers and run it on them.
- Tasks Termination — This will stop all running modules on a given computer.
- Files Theft — This option is used to hijack any data that is stored on the computer’s hard drive and accessible storage.
- Trojan Removal — This will remove all components of the Team9 Trojan.
Regarding the information collection module the made security analysis has revealed the type of information that is retrieved:
Operating system information, Operating system architecture, NETBIOS name of the infected host, Username of the infected user, Backdoor’s file path, Infected host time zone, , Processes list, Keyboard language, Antivirus name and installed applications, Infected host’s external IP, Shared drives, Shared drives in the domain, Trust domains, Infected host administrators, Domain admins.
Multiple domains are being used in the detected attack campaign all bearing names of legitimate sounding services. This also adds confusion to the visitors which can further manipulate the victims.
Team9 Trojan – Virus Removal GUIDE
In order to fully remove this infection from your computer system, recommendations are to try the automatic removal guidelines below. They are particularly created in order to assist you separate this malware first of all and after that remove it’s destructive files. If you lack the experience in malware removal, the best method and most reliable one according to safety professionals is to use an innovative anti-malware software program. Such will not just immediately get rid of the Team9 infection from your computer system, yet will certainly additionally ensure that your computer system remains shielded versus future infections.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Team9 Trojan from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Team9 Trojan from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Team9 Trojan from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Team9 Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Team9 Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Team9 Trojan from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Team9 Trojan from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Team9 Trojan from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Team9 Trojan
Step 2: Uninstall Team9 Trojan and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Team9 Trojan on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Team9 Trojan there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Team9 Trojan from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Team9 Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Team9 Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Team9 Trojan from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Team9 Trojan from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Team9 Trojan from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Team9 Trojan from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Team9 Trojan will be removed.
Eliminate Team9 Trojan from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.